Tuesday, August 24, 2010

What do you do about your baby's long nails?

I have a baby nail clipper and so far, my dad is the only one brave enough to trim them. He lives 20 minutes away and only comes up like twice a month. I have bitten them myself a few times when he was sleeping. My mom bought scratch mittens for him, but they fall off a lot and I am always trying to find them and put them back on. I hate it when he scratches himself and we're getting his pictures done here on Tuesday. He is a breastfed baby, and I always know when they are getting long, cause his lil hands scratch my boob.





So for me, biting them myself is my best option if I can have him still and not moving. (this was a suggestion from nurses)What do you do about your baby's long nails?
I bite my daughters nails and tend to do this when she is calm and feeding. Ive only ever used the nail clippers once and didnt like it as I was scared of hurting her. As far as the scratch mitts are concerned, someone once told me to try putting socks over their hands instead as these are a tighter fit and therefore stay on. I dont know how true this is as I never tried it. I managed to find some mits that were a snug fit and also some sleepsuits that had the integrated fold-over sleeves that acted as mittsWhat do you do about your baby's long nails?
you seriously bite your childs nails??





just get the clippers and when he is breastfeeding or sleeping clip them!





if you can bite them (which is totally strange to me and doesnt seen to smart) while he sleeps, then you can just as easily clip them with the infant clippers.
I just clip them even if it pinches them they are fine and it doesn't really hurt - when they are newborn I try to when they are asleep because they don't fidget as much - you can also get ones with magnifying glasses on them so you can see better but I don't really like those - my kids always had the mittens falling off so we just use socks they stay on better and they work just as good and they keep them warmer
I clip my baby's nails when he is sleeping. Or I nibble on them while he is eating. But before I got brave enought to do either, I filed them with a baby file. This worked really well, but now he moves too much when he is awake and the filing motion wakes him if he is sleeping.


The best time to do any nail trimming is after a bath when they are nice and soft.
Don't bite them! You could introduce germs, and he could get an infection. (I find it hard to believe a nurse would suggest that... My sister, and my sis-in-law, are both nurses, and they say 'No!')





Anyway, trim them when he's sleeping; it's not that hard... If he wakes up before you're done, continue the next time he's asleep.





Good luck!
I hear a lot of people just use a nail file and file them down. You won't cut the baby so this should help with your nervousness! My little boy is two weeks old and I use nail clippers on his nails but he is a very calm baby and just sits and looks around while I hold his hand and cut them! but not all babies are like this.
Biting them isnt good as it creates ragged edges that can snag on things(Per my health visitor).





Can your SO cut them while you are breastfeeding? Or when hes sleeping cut them then. I cut them while husband gives them their bottle and it helps keep them still and queit.





I think someone needs to invent a safe clipper for babies just like someone did for pets.
Don't let the little nail clipper intimidate you. It's not that bad. Just align it so that you can see the back of the nail clipper is even with the skin and not pushing down on it at the top of the nail and clip. I've never made either of my daughter's bleed by just doing it carefully.
have you tried cutting them while he is sleeping??





what about using a nail file?





I use to put my babies in a baby bjorn, facing out, then lift up their hands.. they were more tolerant.. and I could walk around and they were seeing different stuff.. it distracted them so I could take my time and carefully clip...
After what happened to me yesterday I would use a nail file I don't think i'll be able to use a nail clipper for a long time! I cut the tip of my daughters finger yesterday I felt sooooooo soooooo bad I started crying with her, I still feel bad now!! So yeah I would use a nail file.
Don't be afraid to use the baby clippers- do it when he's sleeping, and just be very careful, and take your time. I have to admit, I've made mistakes and cut them tip of my son's finger when he was newborn, but they'll be just fine. Go for it!
I cut my son's nails with the baby nail clippers. To get him to sit still long enough, I sing the ABC song to him. I know people who bite their kid's nails off...whatever works.
I bite my baby's. But I usually wait until he's asleep because he doesnt try to yank his hands away. Or after a bath when he's all relaxed and his nails are softer.
I've heard of biting them yourself, that's what I plan to do. I've also heard of clipping them while the baby is sleeping. Good luck!
My husband or I just cut them when he is eating or passing out.. it is really easy... especially when you do it as a team! As for the scratches.. just put some Aquaphor on them and they will go away quick.
Cut them after he falls asleep with the clipper. You will be fine; it's not that difficult. Besides, your dad can't do it forever!
I always do them while he is taking a bath while they are soft and they won't be so easy to cut to the quick. I bite his too! lol
get a nail file to file them down so they are not sharp. I had one of those 7 sided files that had a ';smoother'; on it. It worked fine for us.
IF you are afraid to clip them, use an emery board and file them down while he is sleeping.
Just use the nail clippers...it isn't hard. I have been cutting both of my boys fingernails since they were newborns.
I just use a nail file!

No comments:

Post a Comment